Friday, June 21, 2024

MUTT (2023)

 


Written & Directed By: Vuk Lungulov-Klotz

Cinematography: Matthew Pothier

Editor: Adam Dicterow


Cast: Lio Mehiel, Cole Doman, Mimi Ryder, Alejandro Goic, Jasai Chase Owens, Jari Jones, Ben Groh, Sarah Herrman 


Over the course of a single hectic day in New York City, three people from Feña's past are thrust back into his life: his foreign father, his straight ex-boyfriend, and his 13-year-old half-sister. Having lost touch since transitioning from female to male, Feña must navigate the new dynamics of these old relationships while tackling the day-to-day challenges that come with living a life in between.


I’m gonna speak from the heart as this film is not necessarily raw, but enough to make an impact.


Though it reminds me of it. It’s Not quite the independent film of the 1990s maybe as it was when I was younger I felt things differently. I might’ve been a bit more naive to get deeper into a film and its subjects.


I didn’t know the world as much. So to me, the art or artist Seemed more sincere didn’t seem like we had seen it all, and definitely didn’t notice all the influences.


Though the films all came from the same place of Earnestness, and honesty, no matter the subject matter and storytelling in cinema they just knew how to make it look bigger not to mention the strength of visuals that one can admire.


In my younger years, I would’ve been all over this film rooting for it talking about it, and supporting it. Needless to say, I’m a fan as the film brings me back to my independent cinema of New York City days when I was all over the latest and newest releases. 


As one, I’m always interested in different in the different outsiders experimental, humanized, and delving into the cultures that I am not naturally privileged to be in.


In this film, in each section or act, we get to see the lead character's experience with someone close from their past as well as a snapshot of their current relationship and lifestyle. So that it is a film of reveals. A coming of age story and a coming-out story.


This is a film that offers some understanding and hope and is not trauma-inducing, even with its constant hardships for the character. the only brutality on screen truly is the emotional ones


The character isn’t perfect, but is trying to be themselves, and why the world makes it so hard for them to achieve. While trying to make up for their past and be a better person.


Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment