Friday, October 18, 2013

THE AMERICAN SCREAM (2012)


Directed By: Michael Stephenson 
Cinematography By: Katie Graham & Jesse Vanderpool

An original documentary which follows three families in a small seaside town in Massachusetts as they prepare for their annual home made haunted houses. This story highlights their long journey from planning to opening day and cleanup until next year and the obstacles which face them during the process.

Watching this documentary on the making of haunted houses for Halloween is like watching an informative report.

While it gives you all the info you could possibly ask for, the subject and subjects are not infective to the audience unless you already a fan of the subject. I thought It would be and discovered while watching it wasn't.

While watching the film you don't feel all too inspired to feel any which way about the subjects or topics. Which should highlight them and their obsession with Halloween and building haunted houses. But the film is so humdrum It feels like it moves at a snails pace.

I will admit the work that the subjects do is amazing. Especially for people who are self taught.

The film just doesn't find a way to make any of it interesting. So that it feels endless. Even though it is about a fun fringe subject.

Part of the documentary I thought would be showing the passion and obsession the people put into it, which you would think would be an entertaining fascination on of itself. It seems to be the only really interesting part on their loves. Maybe is us in the audience got to see them at other parts of the year for balance to see how different the fanaticism is, or let us see they are always like this all year? An all around obsession or perhaps just over achievers?

This film is like the show myth busters. While I like the show and it's ideas. I really more or less desire the results as they show how they are going to test it. I somehow get lost in the journey and find myself zoning out and easily distracted. No matter how much I like the hosts and the experiment. I am just not interested in the details here. It never excites me. I'm glad it exists though and If interested this is the film for you.

I am glad to see Michael Stephenson decided to make another documentary as I thought best worst movie was going to be his only a way to exorcise his demons and come to grips with his experience of that film. Though I think his connection and past with that film mad the documentary more personal, informative, entertaining and passionate. Him here being an outsider though fitting into his wheelhouse so to speak doesn't really make the film that engaging. Inspiring to see these characters in their obsession. It's more a case of show and tell.

 Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment