Friday, August 31, 2012

AFTER DARK MY SWEET (1990)

Directed By: James Foley Written By: James Foley & Robert Redlin Based on the novel by: Jim Thompson Cinematography By: Mark Plummer Editor: Howard E. Smith Cast: Jason Patric, Rachel Ward, Bruce Dern An ex-boxer is drifting around after escaping from the mental hospital. He meets a widow who convinces him to help fix up the neglected estate her ex-husband left. Her Uncle talks them both into helping kidnap a rich boy for ransom money, and the ex-fighter must make decisions about his loyalties and what is right. This film was built up in my head over the years as a pulpy erotic drama. A undiscovered gem and over the years I avoided it to wait for the right moment to watch and appreciate it. And with that decision I feel I doomed this movie to a level t could never live up to. I was Correct It’s not a bad film. I like Rachel ward who I have been a fan of ever since the kidnapping thriller FORTRESS from the 80’s. Yes I was into that 80’s fad of being interested in austrailian culture. So her being in a erotic thriller. You would have thought I would jump at the chance to watch it as soon as possible. I like how minimal this film is, for a major release it has a relatively small cast and really feels like it takes place in a small town and community. James Foley expertly directs it. The color schemes of the backgrounds are rich and styled. I like the fact that the kidnapping plot of the film is dealt with as more of a side plot in the background to developing the characters and the drama between them. I really enjoyed Jason PAtric’s performance our protagonist who we don’t even know if he is all there mentally. The other characters are intense as you never know if you can trust them entirely. Constantly wondering are they on the level or deceiving. So it makes the situations more interesting. I almost wish Jason PAtric’s character could be used in a series of movies. That’s how interesting he is and maybe get a chance to learn about his past more. One of my problems with the film is for a film advertised as being erotic there is one graphic sex scene that isn’t very long. It’s quiet and is more than halfway onto the film and more passionate than anything else. I also found myself lost a few times as in the film as far as plot. It’s a slow film as dry as the land it takes place on. Unfortunately I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. IT’s not a total disappointment but I can’t say that I entirely like it. It’s worth checking out. GRADE: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment