
Directed By: Sebastien Vanicek
Written By: Sebastian Vanicek and Florent Bernard
Cinematography: Philip Lozano
Editor: Maxine Caro
Cast: Souhelia Yocoub, Hunter Doohan, Lucinae Buchanan, Erroll Shand, Tandi Wright, Maude Davey, George Pullar, Greta Van Den Brink
After the loss of her husband, a woman seeks solace with her in-laws. As one by one they transform into deadites, she comes to discover that the vows she took in life – survive even in death.
I watched this in 4DX, and what a ride. It definitely added to the experience. You don’t just watch the movie. you feel like you’re trapped inside it. The seats throw you around so much that by the end you feel as beaten up as one of the Deadites. If there was ever a movie made for 4DX, this is probably it.
As an addition to the EVIL DEAD franchise, it’s a solid one.
What’s always been interesting about EVIL DEAD is that every era has its own personality. Sam Raimi’s films were horror, but they were also goofy, funny, and wildly inventive. The newer films have taken a very different path. They’re less interested in laughs and much more focused on brutal endurance. The gore is nastier, the violence is crueler, and the scares rarely let up. It still feels like EVIL DEAD, but it’s evolved into something much darker for a new generation.
The franchise has also shifted from following a lone hero to centering on survivors and final girls, with each story built around family trauma, buried emotions, and painful secrets.
This time, the horror comes wrapped inside a family gathering where the in-laws may be carrying more baggage than anyone expected. What starts as awkward family dynamics slowly turns into something much worse, as old tensions, resentments, and dark secrets erupt in the bloodiest way imaginable. It’s a fun twist on the usual family drama, your relatives might actually be cursed.
I have to admit, I preferred the previous film a little more. It established this new direction and felt fresher and more personal. EVIL DEAD BURN has stylish direction, especially during a couple of standout sequences that are visually unforgettable, but overall it feels more like a continuation than a reinvention. It’s bigger, bloodier, and slicker, but it doesn’t hit quite as hard emotionally.
At times, it almost feels like a French Extremity horror film that just happens to exist in the EVIL DEAD universe. For some viewers, that relentless brutality will be thrilling. For others, it may start to feel more like an endurance test that brushes up against torture-porn territory.
The good news is that this entry brings back a little more humor than Evil Dead Rise. It’s still incredibly dark, but those twisted moments of comedy help balance out the nonstop carnage.
For all of its memorable kills, shocking set pieces, and energetic direction, I also walked away feeling like it was a little disposable. I had a good time. I liked it. I just didn’t love it the way I was hoping to.
Grade: B-
No comments:
Post a Comment