Monday, December 16, 2013

A FOND FAREWELL TO A FRIEND - EVERYONE IS A V.I.P. TO SOMEBODY. My Eulogy For Peter O'Toole

Cue Elliot smith songs particularly the album Either/or


How are you supposed to react when someone you believed to be practically immortal dies?


He's supposed to be a superhero or like an imaginary friend who more fades away though always remembered. Not simply just dies. Even an imaginary friend lives on somewhere In your head.

To me he was like the David Bowie of the acting world. Something about him that was different, not really seen before like an alien, yet classic.

It's like a superhero into a fate they always knew would come, but not then and there. Unlike the comic books they appear in though their won't be a miraculous return to be celebrated in a commerative issue.

That's what it feels like though we can be inspired and try to copy or Do like he did. There was only one true original and though we try and can achieve. It's not the same. There are many actors who are performers. He was truly an actor who inhabited his roles.

It's like losing a friend, it's like losing a family member you haven't spoken to others from but was a particular favorite as he gave you your first beer or let you watch your first rated r movie. You knew their departure would come, just not so soon.

He still had the spirit though his body might not have been able to keep up with the rest of him. He should be full of spirit after the decades of spirits he on record had enjoyed and engulfed.

He was an actor with the looks of a matinee idol.

Even with a name easily made fun of that either makes you or breaks you. He prospered.

It is fitting that I was introduced to him and his work with the film MY FAVORITE YEAR playing an Errol Flynn like superstar making a comeback TV appearance on a variety show. His character is a raging drunk, who says one of my favorite lines after realizing his appearance will be live "I'm a movie star, not an actor" that quite has always stuck with me. The film was my introduction to slapstick comedy and lead to a life long admiration of it . His performance was filled with a certain intelligence even when performing stupid antics and physical comedy even when he was being bad. He had a certain charm that lead to seduction. Just look at his performance in one of his last film roles VENUS he manages to make you forget his age, but you remember his charisma, charm and quite frankly he still had a sexiness about him. I take particular joy that one of his other last roles though in voice only was as a critic in RATATOUILLE though a food critic he is a vital role in the film and passes a philosophy and moral to the film.

He was always able to play hero or villain with the same amount of conviction and believability.




“Booze is the most outrageous of drugs, which is why I chose it.”

No matter what performance he always seemed larger than life. He became somewhat of an inspiration and movie idol. Like Sidney Poitier, he always seemed to possess a swagger and style that was heightened to me to be the epitome of cool.

Maybe it was the fact that no matter what he always seemed cool and collected and ever the gentleman.

Even though throughout his life there are stories of his drinking and being a HELLRAISER. He was always professional and a gentleman when it came to work even when hungover or drunk.

Though he retired only one year ago. When he leaned he was going to be presented an honorary Oscar at first he refused the honor, believing he still had time to win one. Honestly and truthfully, you believed it was possible when he said it and that he believed it.

There is always a story about him and his legendary drinking. There are an abundance of them out there, though realistically he would be just as shocked to hear and recollect on the stories. he is also well remembered by those who knew and worked with him.

Later in life he had his share of duds though like Christopher Walken he was usually the one good thing in the film or the performance that made the film bearable SUPERGIRL, HIGH SPIRITS, CREATOR, TROY, KING RALPH, CALIGULA, PHANTOMS. Even LAWRENCE OF ARABIA a great film, but I feel I wouldn't love it and be amazed by it with someone else in the lead? Probably not.

I will admit to not seeing every film he was in as usually when I did see him in a film it was unplanned. Therefore like a surprise treat ht you were thankful for, sort of like a secret filling in a box of chocolates. That you never knew was there.

His performances are like a Wes Anderson film possessing a dark and sad undertone, but a funny, exciting, full of life and beautiful.



“The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise.”

Watching the films he was in are like actually seeing the fanciful stories your grandparents come to life in front of you and bearing witness.

I know it might be seen as wrong to commentate him as deeply as i do, as he wasn't a world leader I anything like that, but to me as I will admit to never being the most social. Though I never met him. Entertainers as artists were the people other than family who had the greatest influence on me and helped in a way raise me and gave me impressions of the world and life, during my developmental stages while growing up. So some of them mean much more to me as they were teachers and influences in my life. Who felt like I knew them and they were my friends. It might be a bit sad, but it's true. So their passing might not be world shattering at large, but it equals an ending to a time and part of me.

His performances and spirit taught me to be a gentleman, How to dream, How to get in and out of certain situations.

Once upon a one when I wanted to be an actor while others looked up to James Dean, Marlon Brando and others who used the method. I looked to O'Toole first and others second.

He was like a imaginary friend and grandfather figure or like that rambunctious friend who you know is all heart though others have written him off as it's always thrilling and exciting being around him. One of the only people to get you out of your head and against better judgment to take a chance. In his company he never steered you wrong. To this day I have one friend in my adult life who is like that, but in my youth and young adulthood O'Toole was the reason

The only other actor recently who made me say so much about his passing and what he meant to me was Roscoe lee Browne. Polar opposites on the star scale but similar in range and importance.

Unlike other idols such as James Dean, Robert Mitchum, Steve McQueen who I was never around to see I their glory only to know the legend Of their legacy or they were around and never noticed them as I was too young and not mature enough to notice them or their impact luckily O'Toole was always present or I realized his importance always.

He was one of those natural treasures like Jackie Gleason with THE HONEYMOONERS. Or Lucille Ball with I LOVE LUCY That you took for granted when you were younger as they were always on television and around in some capacity then once they are gone. You truly notice how much you miss them and what they meant to you.

Jude law’s Early career Was almost based similarly as O’toole’s that promise and sensation that was felt for him. That wonder and harm that measured his talent and made the audience wonder what was next and why couldn't he do. That is until audiences cooled to him over the superficial fact of him losing his hair. I even believe Law’s rendition of playing Errol Flynn in THE AVIATOR was more based on O’toole in MY FAVORITEYEAR then Flynn. Peter maintained that mystery and excitement throughout his whole career and he lived up to the Irish stereotype that has plagued his roots.

He was one of the few last true tough guy hard living actors who no matter what happened in their personal life could still be counted on to deliver a good performance and audiences were able to separate the personal and the talent.

I mean after all the image of him in the Director’s chair with angel wings and a devil's tale is not only an iconic image such as him on the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA poster. But THE STUNT MAN image is the only one from a feature film that I once considered getting a tattoo of on myself

It's not only being a fan of the people I am fanatic about it's a deeply held respect and awe I have for them and their work an appreciation that had an effect on me in some way good and bad. For that they have my devotion, usually forever that I want to spread to others so they can truly see what I see even if only a little.

He was never a natural rebel or outsider one who was more part of the establishment, but never agreed exactly with the politics. Think Chevy Chase's character in CADDYSHACK




“Books have been written about that so-called renaissance at the Royal Court Theatre. Bollocks. I watched this appalling bunch of strange young men creeping around, talking pompously.”

Knowing him he would want to be mourned for the credit, but he would want us all to look back and see more of a celebration of a life live to the fullest doing what he enjoyed. Remember him and though you can't live like he did, try I have as much fun be Inspired, but be inspirational yourself.

Thank you for

 LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
THE RULING CLASS
MY FAVORITE YEAR
THE STUNT MAN
MAN OF LA MANCHA
WHAT’S NEW PUSSYCAT
THE LAST EMPEROR

Please if you can out there reading this. Raise a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment