Friday, June 15, 2012

DARK HORSE (2012)

Written & Directed By: Todd Solondz Cinematography By: Andrij Parekh Editor: Kevin Messman Cast: Jordan Gelber, Selma Blair, Donna Murphy, Christopher Walken, Mia Farrow, Justin Bartha, Zachary Booth, Aasif Mandvi Romance blooms between two thirty-somethings in arrested development: an avid toy collector and a woman who is the dark horse of her family. The film is perfectly titled which teaches us in the end to remember not all dark horses fulfill their true potential and destiny. Some Don’t try, Some Do and still never reach it. Some come out and surprise you living up to their moniker this film certainly does. It’s all up to the individual. I Decided to see this film breaking my 90 minute rule. Which is that if a film usually runs under 90 minutes I refuse to see it in theaters as I don’t feel i am getting my full money’s worth. It was fine for me to see under 90 minute movies in the 90’s when tickets were a lot lower priced, but the prices these days have hampered my movie going. I usually only go to movies I really want to see. Movies that get highly positive ratings. Usually either way i stay away from really short films, but being a big fan of the director I decided to break my rule and wasn’t disappointed. Afterward I really didn’t even know how to feel which is common with his films I felt somewhat numb yet sad. Though the film was good and pleasing offering an ending and not leaving it open ended so there wasn’t much to think about. The film and it’s themes just kept running through my mind. Which is good in a film as it makes you keep thinking about it. It actually makes me admire the film more as it never leaves my mind and I keep thinking about it. It's painfully funny This film cut down to the bone. It hit a little too close to home. I’m not saying I am in exactly the same position as the lead. Though it deals with issues that feel somewhat universal and at least personal to me. Having advantages and potential yet never following through with it. Thinking you are better then others while still being stuck and not doing anything about it. Having a personal philosophy that you know more then everyone else and that makes you special. Tearing yourself apart while showing a sunny disposition to the world. Getting lost in fantasy and not engaging enough in reality. Realizing your family does love you and when they give you tough love it’s not them showing disappointment or disrespect but showing how much they love you and have faith in you to make you grow up and make your way into the world. Going for emotional unavailable women and being accepting of their pity just for the chance of being in their company and having some kind of connection. The lead character seems to believe in his delusions more then reality. The film seems to be the answer to the arising problem of arrested development leads in films. Almost like an indie KNOCKED UP without any of the storyline, but the main character believes he has a great life and isn’t motivated to change and somehow gets into a romance with a girl who while being pathetic in her own way is still out of his league. The film doesn’t seem to have much to say, But deals with subjects and ideas the director wishes to touch upon. It’s lighter in mood but still just as affecting. Some scenes in the film are predictable though I can honestly say the film isn’t When I usually go to see a Todd Solondanz film I am excited as he is one of my favorite modern filmmakers. His films appeal to my sensabilities. Then after I watch them I realize why. They depress me causing me to have an emotional reaction and mope around. Making me really think and analyze them. Everyone has a different reason for why his films appeal to them. This is mine. This is Mr.Solondnz’s Most accessible film sine WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE. The film is still heavy, but not as dark as his usual films. He’s not really dealing with the big taboo issues that he usually does like abortion and pedophilia. There are also no gross outs played for humor. This film feels like a comeback for him especially considering I didn’t particularly like his last film LIFE DURING WARTIME. The film is played for comedy while staying true to the characters then in the last act it gets serious and heartbreaking still keeping a sense of humor in the end. As usual the films has no villains they are more or less happy characters or sedate they just come across as miserable. They are particular. Thought they come off as broad in performance in the beginning. They are similarly written that way. As the film goes on and we get to know the characters and their histories and motivations. It get’s deeper and more clear as the film goes on. The film has great performances Selma Blair is sexy as a depressive wanna be writer who is stuck living at home and full of unending despair. She is oddly irresistible. Jordan Gelber is affecting and good in the lead. Striking the right balance of annoying, Sweet, and tragic. It’s nice to see Christopher Walken who I have never seen play a character who is so quiet. His characters are usually so full of life. Here he is more silent and still with a funny haircut. I recommend it. I just warn you it’s bleak yet somewhat rewarding. A bittersweet Ending. GRADE: B

No comments:

Post a Comment