Tuesday, October 27, 2009

RESONATING EVILS AND SINISTER INSPIRATIONS PART 3: LIVE HORRORS by Eric

When I was about ten years old, I was taken to Disney World for the first time in my life. And there were two attractions I was looking forward to the most. Space Mountain, since that would be my first rollercoaster (because up to that time I had always wanted to ride a rollercoaster). And The Haunted Mansion.

Now with my past two postings you're probably getting an idea that I was fairly horror obsessed. And the haunted house, whether it would be a walk-through or what is called a "dark ride" in industry parlance (fun house attractions that are rides. Like Pirates of the Caribbean, etc) held a particular fascination for me. Not only did I love to be scared but I also loved the mechanics that would stimulate those fears. My other obsession at the time was magic. Parlor tricks and what not. Slight of hand and misdirection. And stage illusions. All of which are incorporated into a haunted house attraction. Last week I encouraged you all to check out an awesome, online documentary running in four parts. The fourth and final part was posted yesterday and it concludes the perfect culmination of what I love about Halloween. I love to be surprised by creative ingenuity. And if you can scare me at the same time or induce a little thrill at least, you will lead foremost in my happy book.

BOB BURN'S HALLOWEEN EXTRAVAGANZAS is all about the creative ingenuity used to tap into those thrills. It's the same approach required to piece together the perfect horror movie. There's gotta be a concept, followed by a great arc, then everything is firmly supported by great effects and well timed shocks. What differentiates an attraction from a movie, however, is the added bonus of being live. You are there. And what you see/experience is literally happening around you in three dimensions. While I wouldn't call The Haunted Mansion a scary attraction, it is still mighty impressive knowing the limitations of technology at the time it first opened. And Bob Burns, the titular protagonist of this documentary, gleaned a lot of influence from that landmark fun house, among other things.

I have no idea what inspired the first Haunted House/Fun House ride or attraction. If I were forced to guess, it would have it's origins in live theater dating all the way back to ancient Roman times. Shakespeare's plays had supernatural, even grisly elements we associate with horror. Actually, I suspect there are a combination of influences: legit theater, magic shows, the cabinet of wonders craze that started around the 17th century (the "cabinet of wonders" was a term applied to an early form of the museum. This would usually involve a room or touring show displaying various curiosities of potential/dubious historic and scientific value), early circus side shows and Le Théâtre du Grand-Guignol (France's notorious horror-spectacle-theater company. Founded in the earliest part of the 20th century, It would gauge a play's success on the number of patrons who'd pass out from shock. And, yeah, I'm paraphrasing what I just read in Wikipedia). In Bob Burns' case, he made use of objects from his own collection of horror and scifi movie props, then engaged a community of make-up and sfx experts to realize his vision for every halloween since the early 1960s.

I think an amusing double bill, by the way, would involve a viewing of BOB BURNS HALLOWEEN in it's completed form along with George Ratliff's HELL HOUSE. You know, watch a depiction of one man's attempt to thrill based on sheer entertainment value coupled with another document on people's attempts to scare others into religious acceptance. HELL HOUSE presents a different kind of haunted attraction altogether. It's the fun-house-as-proselytizer. Even though the same kind of ingenuity built into Bob Burn's extravaganzas go into the "haunted houses" created by these Christian fundamentalists.

Looking back on my childhood Halloween history, I'm surprised at how few home grown haunted houses I experienced. The small New Jersey town I lived in at the time was lacking in creativity. During Halloween, there would be the odd "come on in... touch the witch's brains" which would involve fondling cold spaghetti or something like that. Very scary. And I remember how my school set up a maze of boxes you'd have to crawl through while experiencing the sparodic "boo!" and shaking of said boxes by volunteer students on the outside. Again: scary. However, there appears to be a subculture of haunted house creators who's attractions grow more elaborate with each year. Hauntworld.com shows evidence of this. Check it out. You have no idea who's set up what in your neck of the woods. In fact, something could be happening right next door this Halloween.

Speaking of New Jersey, anyone who grew up in the tri-state area during the late 1970s to early 80s will recognize this:



BRIGANTINE CASTLE was the holy grail for like minded haunted house enthusiasts at the time. It was an attraction built into a gothic structure rising visibly above the amusements on the New Jersey shore. That, and it's sister attraction THE HAUNTED MANSION thrilled visitors for almost a decade. Yet my reaction to this was parodixical in the sense that while I was dying to go, any attempts on my part were foiled by fear and intimidation. It just looked too intense. And to my dismay, when I finally matured enough to get beyond being scared enough, Brigantine Castle would be no more. It was destroyed in a fire in the mid 1980s. But there exists a great site extolling it's life and times: http://www.darkinthepark.com/Brigantine/Home/home.htm

As an adult, I find myself still going to these things so I can be impressed in the same way I want to be impressed by a stage magician. The last authentically frightening haunted house I went to was called NIGHTMARES on the Canadian side of Niagra Falls. If you haven't been there, Niagra Falls consists of many fun house attractions and this was by far the best. I checked it out while on detour from a college road trip and the effectiveness rested in it's simplicity. The whole thing is in the dark. All you have is a pin point of a light as your guide. Out of nowhere headlights would appear and come right at you. You would feel things. Icky, spindly things on your face, reaching out to touch your legs. Or you'd hit a dead end. And grow fearful that if you didn't find the exit, something bad would happen so you'd better hurry.

I enjoyed this so much I insisted my family check it out when we did a trip to Ontario the following year. Yeah, it was out of our way but worth it. I insisted they get their tickets but I wasn't going to join them on the tour. And this was why: this particular haunted house had microphones rigged all over the place. And I got to sit outside and hear my family's every scream and holler eminating from the speaker system. It was awesome. And I'm glad to say this attraction still exists.

Going back to Disney World, I got the experience I desired out of Space Mountain. But I acknowledge now that it isn't the best roller coaster I have ever ridden. But I still think Disney's The Haunted Mansion is a technical tour-de-force. That and their latest "dark ride" TWILIGHT ZONE: TOWER OF TERROR. With its jaw dropping special effects and heart-in-your-throat climax, The Tower Of Terror ends the full circle started with The Haunted Mansion and all it's brethren. While at this time of year, there are thousands of Haunted Attractions opening up all over the United States. Check 'em out. And let me know which ones you think are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment