Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"I'm ... I'm A SERIOUS MAN!"

Well, people, from the trailer I saw, I NEEDED to see the Cohen Brothers' new film, A Serious Man. Let's face it, before they won their Oscars for the much lauded and much deserved, No Country for Old Men, they have gone Hollywood. Because of their track record making the most unique films within American cinema (independent or studio-produced), they draw the big name talent like bees to honey, or fat guys to buffets. 

This is NOT the case. They went with relative unknown actors, or bit players we haven't seen much of lately (Adam Arkin anyone? Hellloooo!) And lemme tell you ... IT WORKS! Brilliantly! I mean, I described the movie to a friend in one sentence:

"Odd looking people doing and saying odd things." 

The beginning caught me off guard though. It's basically telling the audience some sort of tale from the past. Is it a morality tale? I don't think so. It's more like how a 'Jewish' curse gets started, I believe. I mean, all the characters spoke in Yiddish! And Fyvush Finkel plays either a rabbi or a dybuk (demon)! Fyvush Finkel! Yes, THEE Fyvush Finkel!!!!

God, I wish there was a way you could here my voice as I yell this man's name over and over. I'm sure when this guy went to Hollywood, he had over a dozen agents and managers say, "Uhh, can we change your name to Frank Fink? Fy Fink? Vush Kel?? Fight Finkelstein??? Anything but Fyvush Finkel!!!!" 

Anyway, the beginning is confusing enough where, for a split second, I thought, "Ugh, did I go in the right theater?" 

Anyway, the lead is some theater guy that had some success on Broadway named Michael Stuhlbarg. He plays a college math professor named Larry Gopnik, maybe one of the most unlucky men in the last few years in cinema. His wife is leaving him for some Gentle Ben-type, Sy Abelman, played wonderfully by Fred Melamed. And when Larry tells people who his wife is leaving him for, they have the same, hilarious reaction. Melamed has this warm, baritone voice that is simultaneously annoying and reassuring. Larry's wife, played by Sari Lennick, has clear blue eyes and a huge mouth. She's a cross between a old fashioned Jewish yenta and a Muppet. And his kids are great. One only wants access to the bathroom to wash her hair and his son seems obsessed with smoking pot and listening to Jefferson Airplane. Never before has 'Don't You Want Somebody to Love' seemed more out-of-place and completely suited for a film. 

Did I mention this all takes place in the mid 60's, in a suburb of some Minnesota city. Man, do these guys nail the 60's setting and tone of so many funny films we've seen over the years (Duck and Cover!). And they bring back their crazy, quirky, kooky dialogue and behavior I love so much without a megastar mugging. We get pummeled repetitive lines such as:

"He's a fucker! That fucker

"I'll be out in a minute!" 

"The goy's teeth?"  

Also, pay attention to whatever small-time actor, Paul Kind. This guy makes every seen he's in a home run. I laughed at him. I was disgusted by him. And, in the end, my heart sorta went out to the mess he was. 

"Hashem hasn't done SHIT for me!" Awesome quote.

Anyway, go see this, people. It's bloody hilarious for anyone that find the Cohens' earliest work brilliant. Now, if you really enjoyed the remake of The Longest Yard or had a good time at Couples Retreat, don't go. You won't like it. And fuck off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment