Friday, March 8, 2019

FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY (2019)


Written & Directed By: Stephen Merchant 
Cinematography By: Remi Adefarasin 
Editor: Nancy Richardson 


Cast: Florence Pugh, Lena Headey, Nick Frost, Jack Lowden, Vince Vaughn, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Stephen Merchant, Olivia Bernstone, Julia Davis, Paul Wight, Stephen Farrelly 


A former wrestler and his family make a living performing at small venues around the country while his kids dream of joining World Wrestling Entertainment.


This is a film I believe most will enjoy even without knowing that much or maybe even anything about wrestling. As it sticks close to the formula of most sports films and screenwriting where our hero is a natural. At some point. Begins to doubt themselves and needs that support to remind them of why they are so special and so good before leading to victory.

Over the years I was a young wrestling fan once and it was the only sport that I actually enjoyed watching and that I really got into. All the melodrama and scripted mayhem and characters. I had the toys watched the events watched it every weekend bought and read the magazines had my own theories and beliefs as well as favorite heroes and villains. Even thought i has insider knowledge by knowing their real names. Over the years I got into it less and less but still have a weakness and admiration for the sport and business.

I also remember how seriously me and my friends used to take this also. It was life and death high drama for us. It might even be what helped me want to write just the showmanship of it all was like live theatre all the time.

I used to write up my own dream matches, royal rumbles, death cage matches, survivor series.

I got all the merchandise of my favorites. As well aS collecting the figures and cards and playing the video games. Wrestling and comic books. The other hobby was collecting basketball and baseball Cards even though I never watched the sports. Through that I learned who the players were to a degree.

I also remember how seriously me and my friends used to take this also. It was life and death high drama for us. It might even be what helped me want to write just the showmanship of it all was like live theatre all the time.  Which might have eventually made me fall in love with the movies. This was not my beginner or starter drug. Just another one that was just as close to addicting I used to write up my own dream matches, royal rumbles, death cage matches, survivor series I got all the merchandise of my favorites. As well as collecting the figures and cards and playing the video games. Wrestling and comic books. The other hobby was collecting basketball and baseball Cards even though I never watched the sports. Through that I learned who the players were to a degree.

I will admit by the time the rock came along I was totally out of it. Though growing up when it came to wrestling and wrestlers. One would always get excited to see them out of their element but the movies were usually as broad and ridiculous as some of the storylines and nothing could be taken seriously. This went fir movies about wrestling also. In fact it seems that when I finally stopped watching wrestling is when the films got Better and more interactive the first one I really remember being that way was READY TO RUMBLE, to the point that wwe (formerly WWF) started producing their own movies in house usually by having a wrestling superstar star or appear in the film. They started off with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (who has a small yet celebrated role here as himself) and one would have thought they’d stay with only action maybe comedies but over the years they have dipped into all kinds of genres. Now while none of the films will be considered classics they are usually entertaining and overall fun. The only one I believe that didn’t have one was the Halle Berry starring thriller THE CALL.

This film continues that tradition. Though here it dramatizes the origin of one of it’s own superstars Paige. Luckily she has a kind of quirky backstory that involves being in a family that started it’s own wrestling league. So she has been training in it her whole life.

The film is pretty simple and it keeps in the tradition of being heartwarming and winning over the audiences as well as being funny half the time and endearingly emotional in the other scenes.

What really helps the film along is the relationship she has with her brother. As it is both their dreams to be professional wrestlers but when he doesn’t get picked we feel the darkness and sorrow of his feelings of wanting something so bad being good at it but lacking that star quality. Maybe not being the star but always a good trainer.

What also fascinates throughout is the actual training and the different facets that we get to see. The friendships and relationships she has to learn to gain and be humble. One fit the films other not so secret weapons is Vince Vaughn who does what he does best at throwing out comic liens but also being serious and stern when he has to be. So that he is like your favorite teacher or coach growing up, but wisely he is kept more in a supporting role as too much can be a lot when it comes to him in more comedic roles, but just enough is fun.

When the film first begins it feels more like an quirky independent kitchen sink family comedy. So that when we get to Florida the film is more slick and commercial and while funny at times becomes a bit more serious.

Overall though the film never has to win you Over as it will probably have you by the first scene. The cast is marvelous and don’t know if it was intentional but has a kind of game of thrones joke for co-star Lena Headey who is one of the stars if that show.

The film has quite the talent behind it being written and directed by Stephen Merchant one of the creators of THE OFFICE and the television show LADIES MAN.

It’s a kind of culture clash comedy that always keeps it lighthearted for the most part. As even though they are a independent league of wrestlers the family also helps at risk youth in the community.


Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment