Saturday, April 13, 2013

DOLLHOUSE (2013)



Written, Directed & Edited : Kirsten Sheridan
Cinematography By: Colin Downey & Ross McDonnell

Cast: Seana Kerslake, Johnny Ward, Kate Breenan, Shane Curry, Cirian McCabe
Six lunatics, one night, one secret, no control

Five young people break into a house. The owners are away. They are like aliens amidst the clean, stylish environment and modern fittings. Their urge to demolish seems to know no bounds as they burn a trail of destruction through the pristine rooms with their expensive furniture and tasteful decor. After hours of dedicated devastation in a bizarre caricature of family life, the boy next door turns up at their door. His presence seems to dramatically change the group dynamics; alongside the unbridled aggression, moments of quiet and total chaos, hidden secrets slowly surface: there is Denise, who has to use her asthma puffer in between imbibing recreational drugs; young Darren, Eanna and Shane, who are by no means all violent to the same degree, and Jeannie, who took her shoes off when she entered the house and who harbours the biggest secret of all

This film took me by surprise but didn’t totally keep my interest the whole time. I used to get excited and enjoy coming of age stories no matter what package they came in. Now that I find myself older I am getting to realize when a film isn’t for me. While I admire it’s direction it feels to abstract and all over the place to really grab a hold of me and keep it’s grip. It’s not fascinating.

The film truly feels like a anonymous or rather spare episode of the British teen television show SKINS

I will give the film and the filmmakers credit. It never goes where you think it will. Which works in it’s favor and against it. It builds a certain energy and tension and whenever it looks like it is going to go either cliché or in a new surprising direction which it constantly hints at. It goes it’s own way which becomes interesting in it’s decisions, but also frustrating. There are certain places I wish it would go but like the characters. It flirts with it then breaks out a smile and seems to go for more of the same. Though I will say it saves a trump up it’s sleeve just when you think you know it all --I will give it to the film that I would never call it typical, It has a great soundtrack

In the end the film is simple and I’m sure this is all supposed to mean something, but it all seems lost on me.

I would say watch it make your own decision. Enter at your own risk, There is nothing terrible about it.

Just not my cup of tea.

GRADE: C

No comments:

Post a Comment