Sunday, January 20, 2013

CRIMEWAVE (1985)

Directed By: Sam Raimi Written By: Sam Raimi, Joel Coen & Ethan Coen Cinematography By: Robert Primes Editor: Michael Kelly & Kathie Weaver Cast: Brion James, Paul L. Smith, Louise Lasser, Sheree J. Wilson, Edward R. Pressman, Antonio Fargas, Bruce Campbell, Ted Raimi A pair of whacked-out cartoon-like exterminator/hitmen kill the owner of a burglar-alarm company, and stalk the partner who hired them, his wife, and a nerd framed for the murder, who tells the story in flashback from the electric chair. I don’t know why but I love this film. I saw it in my youth and definitely made a impression on me. It is a very inspiring crazy little film. It’s like a Live action Cartoon, So crazy and full of energy. It’s hard to take your eyes away and resist. This early film by Sam Raimi is a homage to the screwball comedies of yesteryear with the camera angles to match the crazy situations and scenes of physical comedy. It’s a rough film with a innocent heart. The film is full of energy and verve that never lets up. That makes the audience feel a certain intenseness. It has a smart script. The film was a future meeting of the minds between Directors The Coen Brothers and Sam Raimi. It is hilarious with a lot of amazing set pieces. It’s like a live action cartoon that barely slows down. The films only real problem to me is the direction of the story. It wants to be a romance, Action Film, Crime Caper, Screwball Comedy. So B movie vibe. I’m shocked that it’s not on Dvd but then again Sam Raimi has pretty much separated himself from it. He has disowned it Ashe was not allowed to have Bruce Campbell star and was forced to use An editor and composer he really didn’t want to use. Soon he was removed from the film. The film obviously has his fingerprints all over it. Though I can understand his bad feelings towards this film. Though I see it as a film to be proud of especially as a early work of a noted director. I remember watching this all the time on HBO as a kid and as I got older didn’t see or watch it too much, but it was always on my mind and watching it again recently. After all these years I knew for the most part what was going to happen in scenes but still found myself in hysterics watching it. It’s a uncensored undiscovered gem that at least deserves to get discovered by cult audiences if no if no one else. These are the type of films I wish Sam Raimi would go back to making. These original experimental films that helped define his style and allowed him to nurture it. At least his early work seems to be full of passion, energy and trying to say something in a cinematic language. Making the films he grew up enjoying and wanting to make. He seems to be trying to be different and entertain rather then just making a sequel to a franchise like SPIDERMAN or a by the numbers formulaic studio film like FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME. That dilutes his talent. Though I love it. It’s a hard film to pin down. It bounces all over the place ending up as a surreal, cult comedy with homages to50’s B-movies for all it’s supposed weaknesses. I just see it as something different though it is not the director’s vision. I embrace it for it’s abnormalities. It’s a film I found hilarious as a kid. Like a live action cartoon and watching it. Now I still feel the same way. At first I thought it was just nostalgia but having recently rewatched it. The magic was still there and so is the admiration Disowned by director Sam Raimi, incensed at not being allowed to use Bruce Campbell as star of the film and having editor Kaye Davis and composer Joseph LoDuca removed by the producers. Co-writers Joel Coen and Ethan Coen appear as newspaper photographers during the prison scenes. Considering the talent involved I am sure most might expect better, Keep in mind it was early in all of their careers. So while it is over the top and hammy to a certain degree that is what makes it fun. This isn’t obviously supposed to be taken seriously. It has a freedom of creativity that strikes me as wild and fun while wearing it’s Sunday best clothes. It’s spirit feels contagious and years later was evoked by it’s co-writers in the more polished and structured classic RAISING ARIZONA. GRADE: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment