Thursday, December 8, 2011

MY LIFE AS A DOG (Mitt lliv som hund) (1985)


Directed By: Lasse Hallstrom
Written By: Lasse Hallstrom, Reidar Jonsson, Brasse Brannstrom & Per Berglund
Based on the novel by: Reidar Jonsson
Cinematography By: Jorgen Persson
Editor: Christer Furubrand & Susanne Linmann

Cast: Anton Granzelius, Tomas Von Bromssen, Melinda Kinnaman, Leif Ericsson




Ingemar lives with his brother and his terminally ill mother. He may have a rough time, but not as bad as Laika - the russian dog sent into space... He gets sent away to stay with relations for the summer. While there, he meets various strange characters, giving him experiences that will affect him for the rest of his life.

This was one of the first foreign films that I ever saw. I will admit it was dubbed which was one of the reasons I watched it. Another reason was that when i watched it I was the same age of the characters so any of the films that came out that featured children or young people were much more appealing to me at the time. It was like seeing myself represented on the big screen in different locations and having experiences I was privy to or wished I was having in my own life. This film also didn’t talk down to kids like most did at the time nor did it relate to gross humor. (Keep in mind I thought it was a kid’s film when I saw it) It was less playful but it felt real. I saw this film when I was 10 on channel 13, pbs.

The film was a wonder for me. it exposed me to a culture unlike my own, but still similar. It is what kept me connected to the film

It’s a coming of age film, Which I am still a sucker for. So while I review this film I might be looking at it more nostalgically then anything else. Though I think most people who have seen the film or plan on watching the film in the future will enjoy it.

I don’t pay as much attention to the technical aspects as there is nothing wrong with them nor are they bad. It’s just that in this film and in the other films of Lasse Hallstrom they are more about emotion and atmosphere you find yourself caught up and lost in the story more than analyzing what is going on behind the scenes. In this film, it seems more that you are watching things happen naturally then a plotted film.

Watching the film as an adult. The film is still eye opening, but I feel I understand the adult themes of the film. The seriousness at times more now. Even though the film is mainly seen through the child as it’s center’s eyes. The marvel is that the film is made by a adult filmmaker who opens up his imagination to see the world through a child’s eyes.

The film opened me up to be willing to watch Foreign films at a young age and the remain some of my favorite films to watch. As it has become a lifelong love affair. It wasn’t only this film it was also films like THEPEANUT BUTTER SOLUTION and THE DOG THAT STOPPED THE WAR. Even though both of those movies were made in Canada and this one was from scandanavia

It’s a great film. Definately deserved to be added to your Home Library. The film is Joyful and heartbreaking at times. Sometimes even in the same scene.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment