Saturday, December 18, 2010

WEST SIDE STORY (1961)


Directed By: Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins
Written By: Ernest Lehman
Book Of Musical Play: Arthur Laurents
Cinematography by: Daniel L. Fapp
Editor: Thomas Stanford

CAST: Natalie Wood, Rita Moreno, Richard Beymer, Russ Tamblyn,



The film is epic in scope beautifully filmed and choreographed. The film is a marvel to witness yet I never found myself connecting to it. Maybe since it started as a broadway show everything is staged in this film so that I could never believe any of it. I understand that was the purpose and intent but in it’s translation to the screen it should make you feel something. All the emotional scenes felt manufactured and all let’s put on a show it never penetrated to real emotion or characters.

I am a huge fan of broadway shows and show-tunes but I never really found myself enjoying the film and it felt like torture just to finish the film.

An update of ROMEO & JULIET contemporized for the 1950’s and 60’s. No real parents and few adult characters this time it’s more a tale of love and loyalty to friends and family. The two gangs of the film The jets and the sharks are rivals one is a Puerto Rican gang the other a italian gang. Maria falls in love with Tony. Maria is the sister of the leader of the Puerto Rican gang and Tony belongs to the other gang. So their love is forbidden.

The film shines a light on the immigrant experience at the time. Maria is new to America. The scenes move briskly as the film is three hours long. It is entertaining in parts but then seems to drag a lot of times too. Maybe since I heard the songs growing up they quickly became tiresome though I was happy to see where the inspiration and reasoning for the songs came from.

Though it is a Academy Award winning film that won a Best director that was awarded to both directors. The first but not only time it was done again when The Coen brothers won for NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

The movie is too long though. It seems to go on forever. Again it’s not a bad movie audiences love it. It is considered a classic. It’s clear why I am just not in the group that loves this film. Seeing it once is enough for me. It’s engaging but I felt no connection maybe fro hearing about it I built it up in my head and when I finally saw it. It didn’t come close to my expectations. Though I did love Rita Moreno’s performance in the film.

GRADE: D+

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jeff you make me sad. West Side Story is one of the greatest film musicals EVER. Yes, it drags a little bit toward the end (and much of this is from the somewhat lackluster performances of its leads). But it's structured better than the stage show is, which follows Shakespeare's structure almost verbatim. I get that some find the "dancy" stuff to be total fantasy. You either get it or you don't, but I go for it.

    It does help if you're not overly familiar with the score. But the movie is better than the play, and the way Wise shot it is fantastic. I love the color, and the locales. I love bits like Maria's spinning transition into the dance. The supporting cast is wonderful. And the addition of the boys into "America" makes it an exponentially better song.

    I think the Quintet with all the intercutting works really well (though the slightly altered, less suggestive lyrics bother me).

    This is also a film that really benefits from a big-screen viewing. If you ever have the chance, see it in a theater. Despite a tanned, overdubbed Natalie Wood, this is a great musical. At least a B+.

    ReplyDelete